Bad standing posture is a big modern day health problem. Your spine depends on good posture to stay aligned and healthy. Strange as it sounds, the brain depends on good standing posture as the spine is linked to your brain through the spinal cord. This relationship means that bad posture and spinal health will ensure a decrease in brain and organ function.
According to Dr Roger Sperry a Nobel Prize winner “90% of the stimulation and nutrition to the brain is generated by the movement of the spine” so the other 10% goes into thinking, metabolism, immunity and healing.
Good Standing Posture Tips
Why Good Standing Posture is Important
When you slouch your muscles give in to gravity and this forces your body to strain unnaturally. Standing up straight and having a good standing posture from a young age can reduce the risk of many health problems like arthritis, muscular discomfort because your joints are not in the correct position.
If you suffer with something called forward head posture which is a type of spinal misalignment, this can decrease your ling capacity and will stop your body from properly oxygenating cells. This can bring on asthma, heart disease. This can even affect your gastrointestinal system. You will not be able to absorb the nutrients as well as you need to which will have knock on affects in other areas.
When someone loses the natural curve of their spine it is one of the worst health problems someone can experience. This natural curve which should be at a 40-45 degree angle helps to protect the brain stem and canal for the spinal cord and many nerves that travel all over our bodies.
In life we experience situations every day that would cause us to have bad standing posture and it is easy to get into the habit of slouching. Sometime it is of course lovely to let it all “Hang out”. But as long as we; most of the time maintain good standing posture our health should not be affected because of it otherwise spinal surgery could be the last resort. Obviously, we don’t want surgery unless it’s necessary, so read below for some simple suggestions that can help you to achieve good standing posture.
Good Standing Posture Tips
- When you are standing. Think of an imaginary straight line that connects your ears and shoulders to your ankles.
- When you are standing normally take note of whether you are slouching or if your head is hanging down, are your shoulders rounded? The reasons it is important is to stand up straight is beneficial not only for your health but also for your appearance. Good standing posture and standing up straight make you look taller and even slimmer. People that slouch often look 10 pounds heavier.
- Hold your head up and push your shoulders back to achieve this good standing posture. This position makes you look and feel more confident. Take in a deep breath.
- Keep the weight off of your heels when standing. When lifting do not bend at the waist, push from your legs instead. “Lift with your legs and not with your back!”
All of these good standing posture tips are great, but if you are not relaxed and you are tense then your muscles will strain and be tight. This will not help your posture. Don’t stay in any position for too long. Simple stretches will loosen your muscles. If your body is relaxed, then so can your mind.
Be so kind and share these good standing posture tips with your friends – they will benefits from the knowledge.