If you wish your children to adopt a healthy lifestyle, you must set a good example. Start with yourself, get going with some healthy habits, and show your children what living healthy can do for all of you. As the mother or father, you have to make sure that their physical and mental health, as well as nutrition and fitness, are taken care of. Once you’ve established yourself as a healthy parent, you can easily get your children to try becoming more conscious and healthy as well.
Smart Ways to Start a Healthy Lifestyle for Your Children
Starting a healthy lifestyle for your children will have enormous rewards for every member. Show them how nutritious food and adequate exercise can help them on their daily lives.
After you’ve successfully convinced them, tell them what they can expect from it. You will all start becoming stronger and more agile. You will have sharper minds, and you can start coping with anxiety better. Tell them that their efforts to become healthy this early will be good for them in the future. This way, it will be easier for them to keep up with a healthy lifestyle. Also, constantly remind them to focus on achieving it.
Healthy Eating Habits for Children
To start, here are some ways you can improve your children’s eating habits:
1. Offer them healthy options and let them get used to it. Cut back on chips as a snack and give them yogurt, or a peanut butter sandwich from whole wheat bread.
2. Give them a healthy breakfast. Do away with sugar and give them some grains, dairy, some fruit, and a serving of protein. Make them drink milk.
3. Prepare a healthy lunch that they can take to school. Include fruits and vegetables, grains and juice, dairy and protein. Prepare sandwiches, soup, a siding of mixed vegetables, and juice for their school meals.
4. Have dinner at home and whip up a healthy meal with protein, carbohydrates, and vegetables. You can also add dairy.
5. Make them drink a lot of water every day. Give them a jug to take to school with them. Always remind them to rehydrate.
Healthy Lifestyle Activities for Children
Exercise is just as important, so convince your children to not laze around too much and get moving. Here are some things you can do together:
6. Take evening jogs or walks together. If you have a dog, take him out with you so that the kids will have a little more fun while doing it. Go around your neighborhood before dinner or bath and let your children just get a little more activity for the day.
7. Exercising as a family will also be much more fun if you can do it at home with some DVDs. Try different workout programs and find one that everyone will be comfortable doing. Make sure the kids enjoy it, so that they will be motivated.
8. If the kids have bicycles, you can also try cycling together. If there’s a nearby public pool, go for swims on weekends as well.
There are a lot of ways that parents can encourage their children to live a healthier lifestyle. It’s just a matter of starting with yourself so you can have the credibility to encourage the rest to do the same. Once you’ve all gotten a good rhythm and have slowly embraced more healthy habits, it will be easy to keep it up together in the long run.
About the Author: Ryan Rivera writes about panic attacks, depression, stress and anxiety. You may reach him through his Calm Clinic Twitter account.
Photo: Bruce Tuten