Are you suffering from bothersome thoughts that you cannot rid of? The following six techniques will help you stop disturbing thoughts as you go about your daily life.
Can’t Stop Disturbing Thoughts! 6 Techniques You Should Try
1. Always think positive
Here are sample approaches to follow when dealing with negative situations.
- When someone has hurt you: Stop thinking about it or do not keep telling yourself that these people have done bad things to you — especially each time you are at your lowest moments of your life. Remember all the good times you have shared and the times they have been kind to you.
- When you want to buy something that is too expensive that you cannot afford, buy someone an item that you can afford. Replace greed with generosity.
- When you are waiting for someone for a couple of hours: Do not think that this person does not value and respect your time. Tell yourself that there is a valid or good reason why the person is late.
Below are tips on thinking positive to stop disturbing thoughts.
Force yourself if you have to. Drag yourself in front of the mirror and smile at yourself. Smile at anyone you meet. Smiling really helps to change your mood and can relieve stress. It will also help you feel lighter, no matter what you are going through.
Be around positive people
Having a tough day? Call a friend who can give you loving and constructive feedback or will simply listen to you. Talk to trusted friends, relatives, or loved ones who can put things in a different positive perspective and will not feed you negative ideas or disturbing thoughts.
Get your journal
Write down five things that you are grateful for right now. Being grateful for your blessings will help you appreciate what you already have.
2. Know what hurts you
These are just thoughts that can aggravate my situation and sufferings.
Think about the long list of consequences of what your thoughts can bring into your life. You need to realize that negative thoughts can cause pain. Repeat to yourself the statement above to stop hurting yourself and also the people around you.
This technique to stop disturbing thoughts is about letting go because you are aware of the outcome. When you are buried with negative thoughts, you are only allowing yourself to be penetrated with these negative thoughts. Being aware helps you to see the possible effects of these negative thoughts not only in your, life but the people you love as well.
3. Distract yourself using healthy ways
There are many things that you want to stop thinking. Looking for a healthy distraction can help. Here is a list of activities to distract yourself from disturbing thoughts.
Read a good book
Be sure that you are not picking a book that discusses what you are going through. Magazines or comics are also a good choice. Your goal is to be engaged in something new and will not make you think about your bothersome thoughts.
Write in your journal your hopes, fears, worries, and concerns
Make this a habit every time you feel overwhelmed with the negative things in your mind. Record them, close your journal, and engage in other activities.
Watch a funny movie
Humor and laughter are perfect distractions from negative and disturbing thoughts.
Work on your hobbies
You have probably been spending a lot of your time thinking about negative thoughts lately. It is time to enjoy doing your hobbies and the things you like doing once again.
Go outside with your family and friends
Walk your dog every morning for a few minutes. Do some gardening. Repair things in your garage. There are lot of things that you can do outside to help you stop disturbing thoughts.
The result of distracting yourself is that your negative thoughts will quickly stop troubling you. If you do not feed yourself with negativity, it will die on its own. This method will not only assist you in dealing with any scenario; it will also stop creating patterns of disturbing thoughts.
4. Learn acupressure points
Through using the special mental healing point which is GB 14 (that point on your forehead that’s directly above the middle of your eyebrow), you can help yourself to reprogram your mind toward positive thoughts. Pressing on GB 14 lightly while performing deep breathing for several times each day will help cultivate mental health and release mental stress.
This approach is perfect for all ages — even teenagers and children can do this. This will help to clear their minds and stop disturbing thoughts before taking a test. Everyone can benefit from this acupressure point to fight disturbing thoughts and attitudes: It helps to balance and calm your emotions.
How to do it?
Use only gentle and light touches on these points. You can use both middle fingers to gently press GB 14. You can also use one hand by putting your middle finger on one side of your forehead and your thumb on the other side while doing slowly deep breathing. Hold on these points for a couple of minutes. Increase gradually the number of minutes as you get familiar pressing on these points.
This acupressure point with deep breathing can soothe difficult emotions and remove negative thought patterns. This can take effect immediately but does not last if you do not apply a gentle touch. It is a cost-free approach to stop disturbing thoughts that you can do regularly.
You can also try this acupressure exercise to stop disturbing thoughts.
5. Practice basic mindfulness meditation
Here is a 4-step mindfulness meditation exercise that you can perform before you start your day. Make this a habit and reap amazing rewards — getting rid of and stopping disturbing thoughts.
Step 1: Recognize the feelings and thoughts that are disturbing or hurting you. Name those feelings and thoughts to enlighten yourself on what you need to work on.
Step 2: Acknowledge and accept the disturbing thoughts in your current situation. This is your tactic to put in the spotlight those negative and disturbing thoughts instead of letting them get worse.
Step 3: Be curious. Answer the “why, where, when, what, and who” questions. Investigate the real reasons of your feelings and thoughts to know the whole scope.
Step 4: Tell yourself, “It is not who you are.” Your negative and disturbing thoughts do not define you. These are your experiences that might happen in your life if you allow them to. Your feelings and thoughts are not permanent. Being aware of this will help you step backward from these and move forward with life.
Below are some tips to keep in mind when doing mindfulness meditation:
- Get motivated to do mindfulness meditation every day.
- Start small. Avoid committing to grand and exaggerated efforts. Take it slow and easy. Begin with sitting quietly for a few minutes once a week. Observe the benefits you enjoy from this simple 5-minute meditation. If you are successful, gradually add 5 minutes every week. You will be surprised that you are meditating for 45 minutes each day already.
- Schedule your mindfulness meditation. Use your planner to schedule time for it just as you would when scheduling an important appointment. You would not want to miss an appointment with your doctor, so do not miss an appointment with yourself.
6. Learn yoga
Believe it or not, yoga is one of the most effective techniques to stop disturbing thoughts. Yoga is a kind of meditation for both the mind and body. It is a perfect mood enhancer that does not require you to take medications and drugs. Just like any other exercise, yoga can release healthy and happy hormones that can help stop disturbing thoughts and feelings.
Being active can keep your mind away from all negative and disturbing thoughts which will allow you to think clearly and with greater perspective. However, it is advisable that you seek first medical help from a professional practitioner before you engage in yoga. There are yoga poses that might not be ideal given your current health condition.
Below are lists of poses depending on your situation:
- To fight depression: dolphin, upward facing bow, standing forward fold, downward facing dog, and corpse pose
- To stave off anxiety: shoulder stand, cat pose, child’s pose, downward facing dog, supine twist, and fish pose
- To alleviate stress: supported bound-angle pose, reclining leg stretch, revolved belly pose, eagle arms pose, wall dog pose, mountain pose, cross-leg revolved pose, standing side bend pose, and pigeon pose
Having negative and disturbing thoughts can drag you away from the present moment and can exhaust all your energy and drain your happiness. The more you think of negative and disturbing thoughts, the more they will come to your life.
Remember, one small disturbing thought can turn into a pile of negative thoughts. On the other hand, a positive thought can have the same effect — it can blossom into unending positive thoughts and events. This is the perfect time to stop disturbing thoughts and live a life that is free from stress and negativity.