Many people think that they can only be happy when they have their dream job, the ideal spouse, or 10 million dollars in their bank account. But, the truth is, happiness is just a state of mind. You can think yourself happy. You can create your own happiness by changing your thoughts.
Psychologists used to think that happiness is a mysterious phenomenon. But, with the rise of positive psychology, more and more experts believe that you can actually think yourself happy. Worrying and other negative thought habits can destroy your happiness.
In order to increase the level of your happiness, you must learn the following techniques that will help you think yourself happy.
How To Think Yourself Happy
Think happy thoughts
Thinking happy thoughts is one of the most powerful ways to think yourself happy. It lowers your stress levels and it increases pain tolerance. So, the next time you have a stressful day at work, close your eyes and think a happy thought. You can think about a happy moment, memory, or things that make you happy.
Think about the your first date with your partner or the day you got promoted. Also, try to think about the time when you went to a Madonna or Michael Jackson concert or when you got your first car.
Every morning, after you wake up, close your eyes and think about things that make you happy, it may be:
- Your dog
- A cup of delicious hot coffee
- A slice of blueberry cheesecake
- Beautiful flower
- The waves of the ocean
- White sand
- Funny scenes from your favorite sitcoms
- Fun family vacation
- Holding hands with the one you love
- A box of high end Swiss chocolate
- A glass of ice cold coke
- Great moments at work
- A sincere compliment from your boss
- A smile from your crush
- A sweet text message from your boyfriend/girlfriend
- A vacation in Europe
- The laughter of kids
- Face of a cute baby
- Long road trip with your best buddies
When you think happy thoughts all the time, you’ll feel surprisingly happy. Happiness is not about being a CEO of a huge company or having millions of dollars in your bank account. Happiness is something that you can achieve by thinking happy thoughts.
Optimism is one of the most powerful keys to happiness. It reduces your stress levels and it increases your life span. It also helps you manage your emotions. It increases your self-esteem and self confidence. It helps improve your resilience and it enhances your problem-solving skills. It also promotes positive relationships and it improves your overall well-being.
Here’s how you can think yourself happy by being optimistic:
- Find the good in everything. So, you got fired? Well, it may be a good opportunity to start your own business. If your boyfriend/girlfriend broke up with you, maybe it’s because there’s someone better for you.
- You have to believe that you can. You are more competent than you think. So, brush that self doubt by saying positive affirmations like “I am talented, I can do this”.
- At the end of the day, write down all the things that you have accomplished like finishing a challenging project, cleaning the whole house, or doing a random act of kindness.
From now on, promise yourself to:
- See the bright side of everything.
- Talk about positive things like good health and prosperity to all the people you meet.
- Wear a cheerful smile wherever you are.
- Avoid criticizing others.
- To keep believing that good things will happen
Having a positive attitude brings you hope and it improves your self-confidence. It makes you happier and more likeable, too.
Maintain an attitude of gratitude
Happiness is not about having the best things. It is not having a 10 bedroom house or a lear jet. It is about appreciating all that you have. The most grateful people in the world are the happiest ones. So, every morning, close your eyes and think about the things that you should be grateful for. If you look around you, you’ll discover that there’s a lot to be grateful for. So take time to be grateful for:
- Be thankful for your house. If you have a roof over your head and you live in a pretty safe neighborhood then you are one of the luckiest people in the world.
- Be thankful for your job. It may not be your dream job, but it allows you to pay for your bills.
- Take time to appreciate for your partner. He/she may not be perfect, but he/she loves you and that’s enough.
- Be grateful for your parents. They may not be perfect. In fact, they may shake your core and annoy you to the bones, but they’re the reason why you are alive. They also made sacrifices to give you a good education and a good life.
- Be thankful for the rain, the flowers, the sun, and all other beautiful things around you.
When you focus on what you have, you’ll be happier. You’ll realize that you are a lucky person and that you have a lot of things that other people will kill for.
Choose to see the good things in people
It’s easy to criticize people. But, criticizing your boss, your subordinates will ultimately affect your disposition and it will make you unhappy. So, if you want to build a happier life, you have to choose to see the best in people.
Every day, think about what you like about your spouse. It may be his/her smile, happy disposition, or diligence. When you think about your spouse’s good qualities, you’ll less likely get into a fight with him/her and you’ll appreciate him/her more.
Also, think about the things that you like about your boss, your colleagues, your neighbors, friends, enemies, business competitors, kids, and even your pet. Be the kind of person who chooses to see the good in people and circumstances.
It is possible to think yourself happy. When you make it a habit to think happy and positive thoughts, you’ll feel lighter, happier, and more satisfied with your life.