If you have been feeling low, sluggish, have dry skin, scattered mind and have troubles catching sleep, it might be time for you to do something about it, like a self-massage. Most people tend to think that getting a massage has to be an extravagance while others feel that it is self indulgent and even more so a waste of their money.
Now, if you belong to that group, it will be in your best interest to know that there are numerous health benefits to massages including mental and emotional as much as physical. Of course, you might think highly of massages but lack the time to have one or are too shy to get a professional one, which is why a self-massage will be a good idea. You should practice some simple techniques and get to enjoy the benefits that come from having a self-massage.
Top 6 Health Benefits Of Self-Massage
1. Nurturing one self
A self-massage can be described as one of the most amazing acts of self-love and kindness. If you make it a habit to practice this for 10 minutes daily, you turn on the ability to relax turning off the inner critic in the process and helping you to become the beautiful blissful you always need to be.
2. Rejuvenates both body and mind
If you start your day with massaging yourself, you will feel more at ease. Giving yourself an energetic massage will vitalize the mind as much as the body; and giving yourself a slower and more leisurely self-massage focuses on your breath helping your mind slow down and your body to relax.
3. Detoxifies the body
When you feel uneasy, it is likely that the toxins in the body are the cause. This means that when you self-massage, you assist your body in flushing out toxins as well as impurities in the body and after elimination, you feel more energized.
4. Energy stimulation
Self-massage stimulates energy channels, which in turn promotes an easy flow of prana through the body and mind. Now, if you are wondering, prana is the body’s natural intelligence and when it flows accordingly then the body’s inner healing power is activated.
5. To stay younger
Giving yourself self-massage increases your vibrancy, which promotes soft and youthful skin. After detoxification and the energy flow, the balancing effects promote joy, vitality as well as resilience, which are all associated with youthfulness.
6. Relieve pain
You can relieve headaches, backpain, neck pain and other pains by massaging yourself. See videos below!
Other health benefits of self-massage
- Massaging yourself calms the nervous system promoting a sense of well being.
- It stimulates the lymphatic systems that carry out the body’s wastes.
- It prevents as well as relieves muscles spasms and cramps.
- Massaging improves the blood circulation in the body assisting in the delivery of oxygen and nutrients in the body.
- Massaging yourself releases tension and promotes relaxation.
- Lubricates the joints.
- Increases your mental alertness.
- Improves the elimination of impurities from the body.
- Promotes smoother and softer skin.
- Increases the chances of having better and deeper sleep throughout the night.
- There have also been claims that self-massage improves the sensory organs as well as eyesight and improves the immune system.
Learn more: 6 Self-Massage Techniques To De-Stress Yourself
How to give yourself a self-massage at home
What you will need
- A warm room – You need to be comfortable while doing the massage.
- Oil – You will need sunflower oil or coconut oil or mustard oil or sesame oil or any other oil that you like.
- A squeeze bottle -This is to make the oil access easier and faster.
- A towel or a mat – Something you will probably not mind accumulating some oil. You could need one to stand on and one to dry yourself with.
How to massage yourself
One of the best parts about a self-massage is the fact that you can do it at anytime and almost anywhere you choose. When doing it, you need to remember that being gentle and slow is the key; there is really no need to apply pressure. Bottom line is that, each body part should feel relaxed.
Here are couple of videos that show you how to massage yourself (and enjoy the health benefits of sef-massage). For more self-massage videos, check out Good Relaxation Video Courses.
Relieving the headache with self-massage
No 1 Self-Massage Exercise to Release Tension in the Lower Back
A self-massage to release tension in the lower back with tennis balls
The special place to relieve tension in the upper back
A special self-massage technique for relieving tension in the upper back – the dragging technique
A simple self-massage exercise to relieve muscle tension on the sides of the neck
Self-massage is one of the best treatments you can give yourself and for a full relaxation, once you are done with the massage, take some extra time in the shower to rinse off the oil. While in the bath, take advantage and use the extra oil to massage your face, ears, cheeks and forehead using gentle circular motions, which will relax all the muscles in your body making you feel fresh and ready for your day.