This article will show tips on how to get rid of neck pain from sleeping wrong, as well as various ways on how you can prevent neck pain while sleeping.
How To Get Rid Of Neck Pain From Sleeping Wrong
Slowly exercise the muscles
Rotating the neck in circular motion will help stretch out agitated muscles. While this may provide discomfort at first, it will ultimately alleviate the neck pain when repeated many times. Start moving the neck back and forth then move it side to side. Stop the motion when starting to feel pain.
This video shows a 2-minute simple self-massage exercise to get rid of neck pain from sleeping wrong and release muscle tensions in the neck and head.
Learn more: Top 6 Health Benefits Of Self-Massage
Take a shower
When taking a shower, use lukewarm or hot water to run over the head and neck for about 4 to 5 minutes. Remember to keep the neck straight during the whole shower and never attempt to turn it.
Soak with bath salts
The salt can help improve circulation, relieve tensions in the muscle and reduce stress levels. People should try out mixing different additives with bath salts to improve its ability to relieve neck pain.
You can also use Epsom salt to take a warm bath. Made of sulfate and magnesium, it does not only relaxes your mind, but also provides instant remedy for different health issues. Magnesium can regulate activity of several enzymes and raise the levels of serotonin in the brain.
Apply heating pads
You can also use heating pads to get rid of neck pain from sleeping wrong. These are effective in stimulating the neck’s blood flow in just a few minutes.
Use ice packs
Applying ice packs helps in relieving neck pain more than hot compress will.
Apply balms and ointments
Balms come in different types. It’s important to determine which one is ideal for neck pain. Some can provide pain relief while others can increase circulation. Make sure to ask the counter staff about this when buying balms at a nearby drugstore.
Balms usually stimulate the heat on your skin, thus, providing mild comfort after massaging or rubbing the affected area.
Get a massage or try alternative therapies
People may opt to get a massage for neck pain relief but make sure to consult this with a medical professional. Several local spas offer a wide variety of suitable massage for neck pain at different rates, but make sure to shop around and look for a quality service.
- Acupuncture is an alternative therapy, which uses needles to target pressure points inside the muscles. It is an effective procedure to get rid of neck pain from sleeping wrong.
- Hydrotherapy, also known as water therapy, involves shower massage with warm water. Usually, the neck is massaged with warm water for about four minutes then followed by a cold water massage for at least 30 seconds.
- Massage with essential oils, like tea tree, lavender or citronella does not only help relieve neck pain, but also stimulate the smell senses.
Visit Good Relaxation Online Courses to learn more about different relaxation and self-massage exercises for neck pain.
How To Prevent Neck Pain From Sleeping Wrong
Millions of people suffer from waking up in the morning with neck pain as a result of sleeping wrong. Don’t add up to these numbers! Here are a few simple tips that you can use to avoid neck pain from sleeping wrong.
- Don’t open the window when sleeping in the middle of the night. The cold air from the outside can cause the muscles in the neck to stiffen.
- Sleep with enough pillows. People who like sleeping on their stomachs must sleep with only one pillow. This is because neck pain usually happens when a person makes a 90-degree head turn to grab some air. People sleeping on their backs must avoid using too much pillows as this can create uncomfortable angle and position of the neck and shoulders.
- Taking a warm bath before sleeping can help regulate the temperature of the muscles. Flexing and massaging the neck with various exercises during the shower can prevent neck pains from occurring.
- Do exercise regularly. Find something, which is exciting to do – be it in the form of running, swimming, climbing or cycling. Stretching out the muscles can help a person get rid of neck pain from sleeping wrong.
If a person knows how to keep all these tips in mind, prevention and getting rid of neck pain from sleeping awkwardly is always easy as 1-2-3.
- There´s a good chance that you are not experiencing neck pain from sleeping wrong, but sitting wrong. Make sure that workstations are ergonomically correct. Working long hours in front of an office computer with an uncomfortable chair and computer table can contribute to developing neck pains the next day when you wake up. Changing your posture regularly, and setting some time to take a break and stand and walk around can also help in stretching the muscles. Don’t forget to take at least 5- to 10- minute break after every hour.