Learn how to do self massage to relieve stress!
Massage is a useful way to relieve the stress and tiredness from the body. Don’t be sad when you had a rough day and there’s no massage therapist to help you out of your misery because you can learn self massage to relieve stress and this can be done easily at home.
Learn more: Top 6 Health Benefits Of Self-Massage
Self Massage Techniques To Relieve Stress
Self head massage
Here is a great self head massage to relieve stress.
Video: A simple head massage to relieve stress
If you have recurring migraine headaches, this is a good massage technique for you:
- Start by putting your thumbs on your cheekbones near the ears, and use your index and middle finger to softly push and rub your temples (it is the side of the head behind the eyes).
- Gradually move your index and middle fingers along your hairline while applying pressure in a slow circular motion. You should continue rubbing until your fingers meet in the center of your forehead.
- Repeat the circular motion until pain goes away.
The eyes are also susceptible to stress especially when you stare at the computer screen for a long time. Luckily, there is self massage to relieve stress for the eyes.
- Close your eyes. Place your pinky fingers at each side of the eye sockets. Start with applying pressure on the outer part of the eyes and slowly move around.
- Make 8 repetitions and when you reach the bridge of the nose and hold position for 10 seconds.
- Press the fleshy part below your eyebrows using your index and middle fingers. Remember to wait a minute before opening your eyes after you finish the massage.
Here is simple exercise that relieves stress. In addition to stress relief, it is also a great exercise for a stiff neck.
Video: An exercise for neck
Sometimes, pain in the neck is caused by improper sleeping posture.
- Sit and rest your elbows on the desk. Slightly drop your head down and start massaging your neck towards your shoulders. You can separate your fingers and play with the surface of the neck, applying pressure in a rhythmic pattern. You can also choose the intensity of your pressure as long as it is not too hard that it can worsen your neck tension.
- To stretch your neck, place both hands behind your neck and interlock your fingers. Pull your head up and drag your elbows down to put pressure on the neck.
Shoulder self massage
The shoulders are often the ones that carry most of the weight when you perform a task. The stress on the shoulders is occasionally accompanied by tension on the neck.
- Sit straight and twist your shoulders.
- After every 10 twists, stop and place your hands on your shoulder. Slowly massage it up to the back of the neck.
- Continue twisting until you are comfortable.
You don’t have to rely only on self massage to relieve stress. You can also try relaxation exercises. Try this relaxation exercise if you want to calm yourself down and relieve tensions in your upper back.
Video: Calming exercise to relieve tension in the upper back
Tired hands can bring about discomfort and loss of grip. Refrain washing your hands immediately after long day at work. Give it enough rest to prevent tension.
- Start with stretching your fingers. You can pull, twist and also massage each finger.
- Stretch your palm by interlocking your fingers then opening it up.
- Gently massage the surface of the palms.
Back self massage
Massaging the back seems to be a complicated process especially if you are doing it by yourself. That is why we use tennis balls facilitating self massage to relieve stress on the back part.
Here are two self massage techniques that help you to relieve stress and get rid of tension in your lower back.
Video: No 1 self massage exercise to release tension in the lower back
Using the tennis ball method:
- Place a tennis ball on your lower back and keep it in between your back and the wall by pushing yourself towards it.
- Squat slowly. You can hold onto objects to avoid trembling while doing squats.
- As you squat, the tennis ball will find its way on your upper back. Slowly stand up and feel the motion of the ball on your back.
- Repeat until satisfied.
Video: A massage to release tension in the lower back with tennis balls
Your legs are also vulnerable to stress because they carry the weight of your upper body weight. If the legs were not treated properly, it could lead to leg soreness.
- Start on your upper leg. Using your fingers, gently massage the upper part and work your way down to the knees. You can use circular movements, or you can push random parts of the leg. Go back to the upper part once you reached the knees. Don’t forget to apply slight pressure. Do the same with the other leg.
- Now massage your lower leg in a wiping manner and apply pressure on the calves using your fingers. Apply the same method with the other leg.
- For better results, sleep with your legs elevated. You can accomplish this by putting a pillow on the lower side of the bed and let your legs rest on them. The blood circulation will help in releasing the tension faster.
It is quite tricky to massage the feet because people can be ticklish. Try to minimize and control the pressure so that you can massage your feet without laughing.
- Start by placing your foot on top of the seat and use your fingers to massage your toes. Pinch the surface of each toe.
- Now apply pressure on the sole by slowly wiping its surface with your thumb. You can also massage the heel but do not apply much force.
- Go back to the toes and stretch them back and forth. You can also bend them or twist them.
- Repeat on the other foot.
Always be careful when applying pressure on the different parts of the body. Performing massages on yourself allows you to have control on the intensity of the pressure applied. Being able to learn self massage to relieve stress is a great opportunity to understand every part of your body.
Learn more: 6 Self-Massage Techniques To De-Stress Yourself