Why am I always tired and sleepy?
Find out what are the most common reasons you are always tired and sleepy.
Today, people are always busy, living a fast-paced life. There are a lot of responsibilities to attend to, especially if you already have a family. Therefore, getting sick is not an option. When you’re sick, you are always tired and sleepy, thus, you will have a hard time finishing tasks.
An illness or a serious medical condition is not the only reason people would be sleepy and tired most of the time. Here are other possible reasons you are always tired and sleepy:
- Lack of sleep
- Stress and depression
- Unhealthy diet
- Sedentary life
Read on to find out what are the best solutions for constant tiredness.
5 Common Reasons You Are Always Tired And Sleepy
1. Lack of sleep
Of course, if you lack sleep, you will feel tired and sleepy. Your age requires you to have certain amount of sleep. According to the National Sleep Foundation (NSF), babies need about 16 hours of sleep, teens need eight to nine hours, and adults need seven to eight hours. If these numbers are not met, then your body will react, making you always tired and sleepy.
Lack of sleep can be a result of many things. It can be because of stress, trauma, chronic fatigue, hormonal imbalance, etc. A healthy lifestyle requires one aspect – to get the right amount of sleep.
Sleep deprivation can cause negative effects like mood swings, poor cognitive performance, and poor motor function, according to studies.
How to sleep better?
Here are some suggestions to sleep better:
- Keeping the lights on is not a good practice. Having lights on can refrain you from falling asleep. It should be lights off at bedtime. Stop using your cellular phone once you’re lying on the bed. Don’t keep the TV on, either. Laptops and tablets should also be beyond reach.
- Caffeine has properties that can keeps you awake. Don’t drink coffee after dinner. Get your daily dose of coffee when you wake up in the morning.
- Take vitamin supplements that have magnesium content. Experts say that it relieves muscle pain and promotes relaxation.
- Avoid sweet foods. Sugar has properties that keeps you awake and energized throughout the day.
- Practice meditation and other relaxation activities. It will keep you mind away from stress and other problems.
2. Stress and depression
Worrying too much about many things may lead to stress and anxiety. If you don’t take urgent actions to help yourself, it might lead to depression. Stress and depression will keep you awake at night so you will feel tired and sleepy in the morning. If you continue thinking about your problems even when you’re about to sleep is not healthy. The one thing that is common between these two is that they won’t let you sleep.
How to prevent stress and depression?
Stress and depression may also lead to a lack of energy. To prevent this, you should know the variables that causes them: alcohol, emotional problems, hormonal imbalances, lack of sunlight, unhealthy diet, nutritional deficiencies, etc. There are ways to prevent them:
- Avoid eating processed foods, sugar-heavy foods, huge amounts of carbohydrates, alcohol, and caffeine.
- Exercise and make sure to get the right amount of sleep.
- Always consider and choose a healthy diet.
- Take vitamin supplements that helps in coping with stress like B vitamins and magnesium.
3. Unhealthy diet
You may have noticed that having a poor diet results to different types of illnesses. Not only physically, but also emotionally. Having a balanced amount of proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, and minerals in your body will ensure good health.
If you continuously choose to eat too much of everything, then you will have a health problem. It makes you Carboholic, which means having too much sugary foods, grains, and carbs.
How to have a healthy diet?
Your diet has an impact on your mood, hormones, sleep cycles, neurotransmitter function, outlook in life, and many more. So how will you have a healthy diet? Here are some tips:
- Consume food high in B vitamins like green leafy vegetables and organic proteins.
- Choose to eat healthy fats like coconut and olive oil, avocado and nuts, and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Eat food with high in selenium, zinc, magnesium, and calcium.
Read also: Top 10 Foods that Relax Your Nerves
Dehydration occurs because of the excessive loss of body fluids like electrolytes and water. Neglecting to drink water, exercising without replenishing, being exposed to sun for a long time, having illness, drinking soda and juice instead of water, are the other reasons why you dehydrate.
If you do not have the right amount of water and electrolytes in your body, the viscosity or thickness of your blood increases. Therefore, it also affects the amount that your heart needs to beat every minute. There may be a lack of oxygen circulating if you lack fluids in your body. Lack of oxygen in yout body can be one of the reasons you feel always tired and sleepy.
How to avoid dehydration?
If your heart sends nutrients and oxygen slowly through your muscles, organs, and brain, you will start to feel fatigued, weakness in muscles, moody, and lethargic. Here are some tips to avoid this:
- Make sure to drink the right amount of water every day, at least 8 glasses.
- Do not just take water, but also electrolytes in the form of fruits and vegetables like citrus, pineapple, kiwi, watermelon, cucumber, etc.
- Refill fluids as much as you work. Do not exercise if you are not willing to replenish when you’re done.
5. Sedentary life
Nowadays, office and work environments cause you to have a sedentary life. Sitting all day in your chair, in front of your computer, causes pain throughout your body. It also makes you always tired and sleepy at the end of every shift.
How to avoid having a sedentary life?
Here are some practical and easy ways how to avoid having a sedentary life:
- While on your desk, create little movements on your neck shoulders, hands, waist, and feet every now and then.
- If you have a chance, take a break to walk around.
- Have a short exercise routine every morning which includes stretching and warm up.
- Make sure to have outdoor activities during holidays or weekends.
These are just the most common reasons you are always tired and sleepy. Neglecting to address these issues may lead to more serious medical conditions, like thyroid disease, anemia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and blood sugar imbalance. To ensure that you avoid them, make sure that you always choose to have a healthy lifestyle.